Last night Wesley and I attended the adult session of stake
conference together. Weird and wonderful. We haven’t been able to do that for a
long time; the adult session always seems to overflow with the Spirit. Perhaps
because it’s slightly quieter. Perhaps because there are fewer distractions.
Perhaps because it requires more sacrifice to go. The First Presidency
determined the topics for the speakers. No one remembers this happening before.
The entire conference focused on hastening the work of salvation. What does
that really mean? Developing a personal relationship with the Savior and
inviting others to Him? Helping people actively participate in the ordinances
throughout their lives? Expressing the love of Heavenly Father in all we do?
(and how?) Jared Thomas spoke on how penguins huddle in the arctic to help
everyone stay warm. He said that sometimes when he needs relief and prays from
standing on the outside, Heavenly Father allows him to stay on the outside a
little longer both to teach him that he has more endurance than he thought and
to enable him to serve more. We all need to huddle around each other, and help
others learn how to huddle as well. One of the suggestions was to ask the
missionaries who they are they meeting with that we can help. Our stake
president, President Hollingsworth, told stories illustrating that “Faith with
hard work produces miracles.” He instructed us to hold FHE studying three
scriptures that help us understand faith then memorize one. Then hold another FHE
on prayer with the same approach. Doing so will help us remember how to share the
gospel. WE need to show that we can be trusted to care for the Lord’s children.
If we work to care for them, we will find those that are ready—even unexpectedly.
President Hollingsworth promised that as we love others and share the Plan with
them that our homes will be filled with peace and we will be directed by the
Spirit. We are still processing and holding a family council on how to improve.
I think it comes down to, “How am I doing the Lord’s work today? What does He
need me to do?” We sang “The Spirit of God” in closing and could feel the
presence of the angels who are assigned to our stake and to our families
committed to the work of salvation with us.
Although Wesley was home this week, we didn’t see much of
him. Welcome to real life! My gratitude for his flexible schedule and how cushy
our life has been thus far increases as our abilities and responsibilities
expand. He went on a campout over the weekend, came home in time to shower and
change, then headed out to more meetings. I’m so glad that he honors his duties
and work—and that he wants to be home. He is such a blessing. When I took some
sisters to a Relief Society meeting this week they asked about Wesley; I have a
hard time even talking about him without swooning. My heart really overflows.
When I wake at night and see him I’m grateful Heavenly Father allowed me to
have him. When I wake at night when he’s gone, I’m grateful for how often he is
with us and for his constant love.
The events of the week blur, so I’ll just mash it together. Wes
and Levi felt gross on Monday, but thankfully it passed. Tuesday the boys
screamed until 4 p.m. Wednesday the temperature dropped to 37 degrees; today it
is back over 80. We dug out our jackets: Lincoln mumbled all day, “It’s
snowing! It’s snowing!” We took one of the young men register for high school (he’s
been homeschooled) which took over two hours—so we played hide-and-seek in the
courtyard. We watched a few kids, we met with our friends the Haywoods for the
first time in a month (baby Olivia is only a month old!). We went to meetings. We
visit taught and played with darling girls where all of the kids tried on my
glasses. (Levi: “Why is everything bigger in your glasses, Mom?”). We met with
our friends the Klewenos at the park. Keller has officially joined the crew in
all things (yelling, laughing, tackling, climbing, building, dancing, singing…).
He climbed up the play space at the park and slid down face first over and over
again. They raced each other. Lincoln and Levi went down at the same time,
giggling, “We are in your tummy, Mom! We are twins and we’re coming out!” Oh,
my. We went to the library and forgot the stroller. Ah! Not a good idea when
you’re checking out 50 books…We went to the grocery store too late on a
Saturday—and a lot of people had interesting comments. Not that I blame them.
Levi organized the shelves, pulling the things that had been pushed back to the
front and lining up cans. Lincoln jumped in the shelves, rolled on the dog
food, and shouted, “I’M HIDING!” And yes, I laughed. I even let them run laps
down the empty aisles. Keller chewed the foil box, a few can labels. Then we
made it home. Who says miracles don’t happen!
I’m learning to laugh more readily, forgive more quickly,
and move forward. Thankfully we work one day at a time.
No comments:
Post a Comment