Wesley left for a tri-stake Aaronic Priesthood encampment Friday
afternoon. They held sacrament meeting together this morning. He came back
today at 3. They decided to do another long weekend to allow the young men to
better worship and bear testimony together. He left tired and didn’t come back
well rested (surprise!). It sounds as if the boys enjoyed it. They held sacrament
meeting in an open field, 45 degrees and 25 mph winds: this meant passing the
sacrament took longer than anticipated as they had to fill each cup
individually. One leader pointed out how the pioneers held sacrament meeting.
Definitely a memorable experience. I never worry when Wesley is gone with the
young men because I think it allots us a few extra angels—which I always
appreciate. The days seem to smooth together and remind me to follow the Spirit
faster, the boys gain a greater love for their daddy, and begin to understand
the importance of magnifying callings, particularly of loving Heavenly Father’s
children.
Wesley and I have been reading The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Wes is compiling a reading
list for his future students. This one makes the list! Let us know if you have
recommendations. Wes wants to help his students become better people as well as
better engineers. He’s the best.
Last night I slept for two hours in a row. That hasn’t
happened in weeks and I feel like I could run marathons today. I’m so grateful
for such a long stretch after nights of being up straight through or being up
and down every 20 minutes. Amazingly, the
big boys did sleep through a hail storm that dented our car (not too
bad). We felt the thunder in our chests, then watched with our faces close to the
window. Really smart, I know—but it was super cool.
We’ve been sick. Levi went to the doctor for an ear
infection on Tuesday, which ended up being not too bad. Our regular doctor was
booked that day, but he stopped me in the hall to say, “I know sleep is an
issue. I’m working on a game plan and will call you!” He did call yesterday
evening, but I missed it. He left his cell phone number, but I just can’t bring
myself to interrupt his weekend; I’ll call tomorrow. Levi improved
significantly and now only has a runny nose and a lingering (though nasty)
cough. Lincoln is full of gunk, coughs, and diarrhea. As a result, we’re taking
a recess from potty training. The poor kid had a fever of almost 103. Of course
it came down as soon as I called the doctor. I should do that as soon as they
get sick, then they’ll never get high fevers! Faulty logic, I know. Keller’s
feverish and coughing and so full of mucus he can’t breathe or eat very well.
And he’s hoarse. I shouldn’t think it’s cute, but it is. Sickness makes the
days long and eventful but not productive—at least not productive in a way you
want to share with others! We’re on the upswing now, though. In the words of
Lincoln, “Hallelujah!”
On Wednesday, Levi went to the dentist for the first time.
We prepared by reading a lot of books. After the visit, which included a tour!,
he set up a dental practice by putting his chair next to the couch. He directed
me to lie down and open my mouth so he could prod my teeth with a spoon. He’s
been vigilant about brushing and flossing.
We went to the park to find others there. Usually it’s
empty. Levi said, “Now we can meet new friends!” Lincoln refused to get out of
the stroller until they left. We went to a new park later in the week. It’s
huge, with covered playgrounds, basically deserted during the day. The boys
loved it. Despite his aversion to new friends, Lincoln is gaining an
appreciation for girls. Last week he waved goodbye to Kyrah from nursery and
wondered where she was all week long.
Keller can roll all around now! He rolls under the bed. He
rolls in his crib. He rolls across the floor. All of this happens in
concentrated flops, but he’s extremely happy about it. I sat him upright in the
stroller instead of in his car seat attachment. He watched his brothers dash
around the park. He kicked his legs and talked, hoarsely. Soon he’ll join them.
I can just feel it.
The boys and I visited our neighbor, Verta, yesterday. She’s
a hoot. She told me that she googled me. I guess this is a good practice about
your neighbors! Ha! It seems that every conversation we have circles back to “Give
it to the Lord, honey.” I’ve heard that from a lot of people, but here’s a
woman who believes and lives it. So refreshing to be around. I need to improve
on testifying of Christ in all that I do as well. We’ve been addressing the
atonement and resurrection with the boys as we prepare for Easter. Here are
some good questions from Levi and Lincoln: Why does Satan want to choose for
me? Why doesn’t he love us? Why does Jesus want us to be clean? Why does He
love us? How will we be perfect? Why do we need to die to be with Heavenly
Father again? I’ve been studying to better answer them. Keller helps me. He has
a lot to say about it all; I wish I understood his sounds! Families are such a
lovely education.


Love reading your blog. Thanks so much for posting.
ReplyDeleteI would recommend reading "Mindsets: The New Psychology of Success" by Carol Dweck. It is changing how I approach learning and given me all sorts of insights into teaching that I've never thought of. It also has changed how I view myself and other people. Very good book. I found in my university library. I'm Wes could find it at UT.